About REACH MS
Realizing Excellence for ALL Children in Mississippi (REACH MS) is Mississippi’s State Personnel Development Grant which focuses primarily on supporting school-wide and district-wide implementation of Positive Behavioral Intervention and Support (PBIS) at the elementary, middle, and high school levels. Recently, several new initiates were added: PBIS Early Childhood, Universal Design for Learning and Significant Cognitive Disabilities. Awarded to The Mississippi Department of Education in 2005, the grant is operated by the University of Southern Mississippi’s Department of Curriculum, Instruction and Special Education.
The purpose of REACH MS is to:
- Provide high quality professional development opportunities meeting the needs of educators, related service providers, families and children of our state.
- Increase the engagement of stakeholders within and beyond the Mississippi Department of Education to support a more unified, sustainable structure of professional development processes, products, and opportunities for both pre-service and in-service educators.
- Engage and support local education agencies, institutes of higher learning, families, and other stakeholders to increase Mississippi’s capacity to meet state goals relevant to PBIS through program improvement.
- Mississippi’s State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG)
- Awarded to the Mississippi Department of Education in 2005, refunded in 2010 and 2016.
- Operated by the University of Southern Mississippi’s Department of Curriculum, Instruction and Special Education.
- Two areas of focus:
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- K-3 Classrooms – NEW!
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
- Tier I, II, & III in K12 Schools
- Student-specific for students with significant cognitive disabilities (SCD) – NEW!
- Early Childhood Settings –NEW!
- Facility-wide in
- Juvenile Detention Centers
- Therapeutic Group Homes
- Goal 1: Increase the academic performance in English/Language Arts of Pre-K – 3 students with disabilities through implementation of Universal Design for Learning.
- Goal 2: Support development and expansion of positive learning environments in Mississippi through effective implementation of Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports within a MTSS Framework.